Friday, August 05, 2005

I Surrender All
I have worshipped to the song "I Surrender All" many times. However, a couple of Sundays ago, while singing this song, the Holy Spirit really gripped my heart. The song lyrics go something like this:

I'm giving You my heart
And all that is within
I lay it all down
For the sake of You my King

For the sake of knowing You
The glory of your name
To know the lasting joy
Even sharing in your pain

And I surrender all to you
All to You, All to You

I'm singing You this song
I'm waiting at the cross
For all the world holds dear
I count it all as loss

I'm giving up my dreams
I'm laying down my rights
I'm giving up my pride
For the promise of new life

And I surrender all to you
All to you, All to You

In preparation of going to Australia, I am feeling the pain of surrendering it all - leaving my precious family, my absolutely amazing boyfriend, my job, my incredible friends, my time, my home in the beautiful city of Charleston, South Carolina (okay, I don't really have a home)...but these things really aren't mine at all, are they? They are all wonderful gifts from God and He could take them back at any time he wishes. As the Cleansing Stream Seminar workbook points out, death to joys, hopes, dreams and desires happen when you cease to keep your gaze upon the Sovereign One who can do the impossible(1-25). I am trusting that as I keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, He will give me the strength, wisdom and ability I need to obey his calling and I am hoping that he increases my vision, desire and joy to serve His Kingdom.

Apart from Christ, our thoughts are governed by our sin nature, which always put ourself first. Surrendering to Jesus means completely giving Him control over each area of our lives - finances, time, talents, abilities, possessions - regardless of the circumstances, how we feel and what other people say. Human wisdom is not the same as His wisdom. One of my favorite verses is "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will." -Romans 12:1-2 Once we have accepted Christ into our hearts, we have surrendered to Him and are no longer part of this world. Jesus said "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." -Luke 9:23 I must do this as I chose to wholeheartedly follow Christ. Please pray that the Lord gives me peace, joy and strength as I surrender all.

Next time you are faced with a decision (big or small), consider what God wants you to do. Rely on the Holy Spirit for wisdom. God's Word will help you separate your soul (thoughts, emotions, attitude) from your Spirit (His Holy, Living Spirit within you). Let God's will be your own and ask Him to help you do what He is blessing, not just bless what you are doing.
Originally posted July 18, 2005

3 Comments:

At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are truly an amazing girlfriend and Godly woman! I have never met someone as sold out as you to the cause and confident in what God has called you to do. Your faith is an example to me! Thanks for your commitment and for helping me to surrender as well.

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My beautiful Jenna, You continue to be an amazing blessing to me and obviously to many other people; esp.Jason! I listen to your voice mail and picture you on the soccer field, all tanned arms & legs and long blonde hair flying! You sound so young! Surely it can only be pretend that you are all grown up with a whole life, living so far away from us! So as hard as it is, I want to encourage you and I surrender you to God's care. I trust His good plans for you. I know that He will guide and protect you. So,'Be strong and courageous and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged by the size of the task, for the Lord God is with you. He will not fail or forsake you.'1 Chronicles 28:20 Love, Mom

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog somewhere out in blogworld (Josh's, actually) and I just wanted to say that I think you are an amazingly strong person. I know God will bless you as you seek His face. Being away for 6 months is not going to be easy, but God takes us through times like this to make us into something we could never become otherwise. I especially sympathize with the long-distance relationship challenge. The guy I'm now dating is in CA and will be leaving in February for another 6 month deployment to the war. I guess it's all the same really - we are all fighting for a cause and allowing God to use us where He sees the need, sacrificing our own wants and desires to serve a greater purpose. Know that we'll be praying for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home