Thursday, October 13, 2005

Hope You Get a Laugh Out of This...

I was told that I need to stop “preaching” and blog about more fun things that are going on so here goes. Try to imagine that you are me in these stories – it will make it that much more fun.

Maggots from the Nut Shack
Just like at home, during small group we usually sit around snacking and talking (always about important Bible stuff, of course). Tuesday, I was munching on some mixed nuts and dried fruit that I had purchased from the Nut Shack at the hyperdome (a.k.a mall). When there was a pause in the conversation, I looked down into my nut sack and was terrified to see a little white maggot squirming around. I screamed. Everyone started asking what was wrong and all I could do was whimper. They soon discovered what was wrong. Tonight I am going to tell the nut shack man that there are maggots in his mixed nuts!

Spider Madness
If you know me, you know that I can not stand spiders. They may be God’s creatures, but they have eight legs, are ugly, scary and just really freak me out. Today, my groups work duty was to clean all of the spider webs off of the lights, ceiling and fans in the main hall because there is a wedding scheduled here this weekend. I know that I wouldn’t want spider webs on the ceiling during my wedding so I went into this task with a pretty good attitude. After the first light cleaning, spiders are just raining down. I was just a little bit petrified that my worst nightmare was coming true, but, under the circumstances, I dealt with it rather well. We were almost finished when a girl came up to me with a very scared look on her face, pointing at my shirt. I immediately jumped back and screamed (also, if you know me, you know that I have a very piercing “spider scream”) and yelled “That’s it – I am done. I am not doing this anymore!” Please recall that the large majority of the insects and reptiles in Australia are poisonous so, don’t laugh - you would have done the same thing.

More Scary Spiders…
Last night, Aisling, one of the girls in our class, jumped out of the top bunk of her bed close to hyper-ventilation. Laura, the girl below her asked what was wrong. She replied “I hate my life! They’re everywhere!” “What Aisling? What’s everywhere?” Laura asked. “Spiders, they’re as big as my fists – two of them, right in my face!” By this time, everyone in the room is awake wondering what is going on. Laura says that it is okay, she is just dreaming, but I wasn’t convinced. Someone had come over with a flashlight looking for these huge spiders, but I wasn’t satisfied and made them turn on the light. My bunk is right next to hers and there was no way that I was going back to sleep if there was an inkling of a spider in the room. After about five minutes of hunting for these spiders, Aisling had pretty much convinced herself and everyone else that it was just a dream, but it still kept me awake for quite a while. When I finally fell asleep, I had a dream about two huge spiders. In retrospect, it is pretty funny, but the fact is that those spiders could have very well been real.

3 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Australia sounds like my kind of place??

We miss you and will pray for less spider dreams...

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you maintain your sense of humor, you will handle your adversities with strength.
Love,
Dad

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, I'm laughing, but can you feel me cringe!!! I am so proud of you for being such a good sport about the spiders! I know what a challenge this is for you. OK, I'm your mom, I have to ask - Are you sure this is a safe environment!?! You're not on outreach yet! Do you need more bug spray?! I love the glimpse into your life there, even if it does make me want to come and bring you HOME!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home